Application for reissuance of a residence card due to loss in Japan

Application for reissuance of a residence card due to loss in Japan

If your Residence Card is lost or stolen you will need to report it to the police (theft) or fire department (earthquake etc) and then apply for a new card to be issued. You will then need to visit your nearest Immigration Office with your passport to get a replacement card. You may be asked to write a short explanation (in Japanese) explaining how your card was lost or stolen. Ask a Japanese friend or relative to prepare this if you do not write Japanese.

If your residence card was lost or stolen overseas you must apply for a replacement at your nearest Immigration Office within 14 days of your return to Japan. Sometimes an airline may ask to see your residence card before your return flight to Japan as evidence of your visa/residence status. A friend or relative may apply for an "Application for certification of the re-entry permit deadline" (sai-nyu-koku-kyoka-kigen-shomeisho 再入国許可期限証明願) at an Immigration Office which can be faxed or scanned and emailed to you while overseas. The person applying on your behalf needs to fill in the date you left Japan and the reason for the application (loss, theft etc).

Documents needed 

  1. Document certifying the loss of possession
    Lost Property Certificate, Stolen Property Certificate, etc. (If it is not possible to submit one of these, a statement explaining the circumstances surrounding the loss will suffice.)
  2. Passport
  3. Application for reissuance of residence card click here for PDF Click here for Excel


Hours of operation 

Weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(The day or time may vary depending on the procedure, so contact either the Regional Immigration Services Bureau or the Immigration Information Center. Tel: 0570-013904.)

Share this Post